Here’s a selection of activities guests at Les Eaux Calmes in Gabian enjoy………..
· walking or biking or horse riding in beautiful hillsides
· swimming and sunbathing at the nearby lake with picnic area at Vailhan or travel 30 minutes to beautiful Mediterranean beaches
· wine tasting tours, village festivals and markets
· site seeing - many local castles and the Chateau Abbey de Cassan
· the historic town of Pézenas (see below)
· Roquessels nearby with its ruined castle and splendid views
· hiking in the mountains and gorges of the Parc Naturel du Haut Languedoc, including Gorge de Héric, Sommet de l’Espinouse, village of Douch
· Olargues beautiful medieval village
· the Mediterranean Garden at Roquebrun
· kayaking through dramatic gorges in the Orb valley
· Canal du Midi boat hire by hour or half day at Colombiers with canal side cafes and restaurants
· Oppidum d’Enserune ancient C6th BC fortified hill village with museum overlooking remarkable C13th circular fields of Montady
· Beziers tourist road train from Cathedral to "nine locks" cafes on Canal du Midi
· St Guilhem le Desert fortified hill village
· Lac de Salagou natural scenery & water sports
· Les Bouzigues fishing village with fresh oysters
· Watersports on Le Bassin de Thau
· classical music festivals (see website links)
· golf course within 25 minutes
Walking – there are a selection of maps and guidebooks in the house with lots of choice
Details of four short walks from the house are found on laminated A5 cards in the house:
Walk One: Northern Lights 2½ miles
Walk Two: Western Waters 1½ miles
Walk Three: Eastern Streams 3½ miles
Walk Four: Southern Castles 4½ miles
The fresh air smell of the natural herbs and shrubs in the garrigue (natural countryside) is wonderful. There are lovely views and sights of interest to be enjoyed on the local walks.
In hot weather the walks are best enjoyed in the balm of the morning or evening air.
* * *
Cycling - there are two bikes with locks and helmets in the cellar / cave.
There is also a rack for transporting the bicycles by car
Best short bike ride: follow road over bridge to Montesquieu; take right turn to Vailhan – beautiful small reservoir for swimming / picnics (about 5 miles north east)
Other routes: the road to Faugeres is also very pretty; in fact it’s a delight all round …Roquessels, Fouzilhon/Magalas, Pouzolles, Margon, Roujan …
Medium / longer bike rides: see “circuite de decouverte” on wall map.
* * *
There is horse riding available from Vailhan just five miles away.
* * *
Art, books and Pottery
There is often a display of local art in Gabian.
There is an English book sale at the bar in Gabian on the last Sunday every month.
There is a pottery at Vailhan.
OR BETTER STILL…….
JUST SIT AND RELAX IN OUR LOVELY COURTYARD
simply slow down, soak in the peaceful ambience of the local lifestyle,
WITH A GLASS OF WINE & A GOOD BOOK
and meals taken al fresco within the quiet and sheltered courtyard walls.
In the evenings, the standard lamp from the dining room can be plugged in outside for card and board games.