The house and courtyard of Les Eaux Calmes have been converted from old barns (le Plô) along the village walls of Gabian where animals were kept in medieval times - hence the official house address in "Place du Plô".
Les Eaux Calmes is a home of great character with natural stone walls and old timber beams, nestling in a very quiet and private corner of Gabian at the end of a maze of narrow medieval streets and alleyways.
The property is so much more than just a basic gite. Rather it's a real second home, with simple stylish decor set off with beautiful artwork, and comprising the following accommodation:
· a private, sunny and sheltered 40m2 courtyard with barbeque, reclaimed clay floor tiles and a range of beautiful plants and climbers, accessed through a garden gate from the Place du Plô where cars can be parked
· over 55m2 of raised, open plan, ground floor living space, accessed from balustraded steps up from the courtyard to the front door, beginning with the lounge area with working cheminee log fireplace (also satellite TV, DVD & video player and Hi-fi), and leading down to the dining area and kitchen both with wonderful views over the surrounding countryside
· a quality fitted kitchen with tiled worktops and old beams all fully in keeping with rustic style; all mods cons including new Bosch dishwasher, microwave, large new Seimens fridge freezer, island ceramic hob unit (part induction) with built in oven
· three bedrooms including a fully en suite master double bedroom, a double bedroom with option for additional single bed, and a second floor twin bedroom; this second floor bedroom can also be used as an optional second lounge; quality bed linen, duvets and pillows are provided freshly laundered and fully made up before arrival, and the beds are firm and comfortable
· three bathrooms including a full en suite to the master bedroom (with shower, toilet and wash hand basin); a main bathroom with roll top bath and wash hand basin; and a main shower room
· the main WC, a second toilet with wash hand basin and new Bosch washing machine in hot water cylinder cupboard
· two bicycles provided for guests use stored in large cellars accessed by a door off the alleyway beyond the courtyard entrance gate.
Raised ground floor & courtyard
November 2009 improvement works now completed
New 75% efficient wood burning Brisach fireplace with automatic warm air ducting to far end of kitchen and dining areas
New kitchen, removing old floor with steps and making level with dining area, releasing more flexible dining / living space by far window with river and hillside views.
February 2010 improvement works completed
Complete renovation of roof over main bedrooms, including large new Velux windows with remote controlled, solar powered, blackout blinds - let the daylight in at the touch of a button as you lie in bed.
You can view house photos on the next page
from November 2010.... reason number 11: Medieval meets Hi-Tech....
latest Acer Aspire 17.3" laptop, with built in webcam etc and broadband internet
full France Telecom broadband internet installed September 2012
latest Panasonic 32" Widescreen HD TV: all UK & French free-to-view channels